Transport Section Manager - Nights
About the role
A vacancy has given rise to the requirement for a Night Shift Transport Section Manager at Didcot Distribution Centre.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Section Manager with previous transport background. Candidates will require some team supervisory and / or people management experience. Working within a team environment, the successful candidate will assist the Transport Manager to achieve operational KPIs to tight deadlines and drive improvements by engaging the team in promoting a positive culture.
- To lead and motivate team members through monitoring, evaluating, training and coaching to raise performance standards and achieve KPIs for cost, service, attendance and performance
- To ensure drivers/loads are appropriately routed and that the vehicles are utilised effectively
- Ensure compliance with transport legislation
- Ensure compliance with fleet security requirements
- Arrange for fleet maintenance and repairs as required
- To debrief drivers on return, control agency labour and build relationships with branches
- To focus on Health and Safety KPIs
- To exercise cost constraints as required and manage within the current budget
- To continually measure and meet best practice.
- To control absence and holiday allocation and to be responsible for disciplinary action up to final written warning level
You will need
- Commitment and ability to work under pressure
- Excellent people management skills and the ability to develop self and others
- Experience of applying a working knowledge of relevant legislation, e.g. Health & Safety, Employment Law, Discrimination etc.
- A good understanding of Transport Legislation and the impact of non compliance to protect the company Operator Licence
- Ability to effectively plan labour and resource to deliver operational requirements to a timely manner whilst meeting agreed KPI’s and Service Levels
- Effective team worker and confident and positive communicator.
- PC literate in Excel and Word
- Ideally CPC qualified, but not essential
Whats in it for you
As a member of our Transport Management team you will undertake challenging and rewarding work and play a pivotal role in ensuring we meet operational demands and fulfil our customers' needs.
In addition to the competitive basic pay, company benefits include:
- Booker Group Pension Scheme
- 33 days of holiday per year
- Healthcare cover
- Sharesave Scheme
- In store colleague discount at Booker and Tesco
Chef Direct, a growing business that specifically caters for the unique needs of foodservice operators, is part of Booker Ltd, the UK's largest food wholesaler.
From the company headquarters at the Didcot Distribution Centre (a 245,000 sq ft, modern, multi-temperature food service site) Chef Direct services the national accounts it holds with its customers in the foodservice industry.