About the role
Booker Group are recruiting for a Finance Analyst which is a key role in the Booker Finance team that is responsible for supporting the operational side of the business across a wide range of areas. This includes overseeing the capital expenditure approval process, maintaining external relationships with water suppliers and other regulatory authorities as well as Tesco Group departments. Internally, the role holder provides support to all areas of the business through accurate reporting, production of accruals across the wholesale branch and central cost base, supports the Sustainability team in delivering the environmental goals of the group and assists the senior finance team in minimising risk and mitigating costs thereby improving cash profit. The role is accountable for the production of capital project justifications for the branch network and reporting the success or otherwise of capital projects to Tesco via regular project investment appraisal reviews. The role is also responsible for certain cost, utility and stock budgets as well as supporting the senior team in the preparation and understanding of the periodic accounts.
Health, Safe and Legal (Governance, Security and Controls):
- Complying with all company policies, e.g. financial planning and control, health and safety.
- Ensuring accurate reporting of costs in accordance with accounting standards each period.
- Working pro-actively to monitor water consumption to minimise risk through leaks
- Ensuring capital spend requests are raised and approved in line with Booker/Tesco financial policy
- Working with the wider Finance team to support accurate reporting and accounting.
- Championing diversity and inclusion to ensure everyone feels welcome at Booker.
- Day to day management of a Junior Finance Analyst.
- Working with stakeholders to manage understanding of the cost base and reporting of business performance.
- Working proactively with stakeholders to improve processes and maximise asset utilization.
- Working promptly, jointly & proactively on capital projects to improve cash profit & customer satisfaction.
- Ensuring capital projects are reviewed to agreed budgets and timescales and report on any divergence.
- Working to identify issues that are impacting water consumption and working promptly, jointly & proactively to mitigate and resolve such issues.
- Ensuring that capital expenditure spend by the business is approved correctly and that any return seeking investments have challenging but realistic targets set against them.
- Finding ways to achieve or beat budgeted costs and try to improve costs year-on-year.
- Improving the quality and efficiency of reporting and accounting processes across the business.
- Delivering innovation through continuous improvement.
You will need
- Drive to succeed and deliver improvements and to transition these smoothly into ongoing business efficiency.
- Excellent team management skills, ensuring any barriers to success are removed and any demands on the team are clear and commitments are met.
- Ability to build consensus within the wider finance team to ensure the right solutions are delivered to the right quality.
- Financial or Operational background.
- Desire to learn, add value and drive progress by implementing best practice improvements and continuous improvement.
- Excellence in building positive relationships with both internal stakeholders and external suppliers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, being able to communicate effectively and efficiently taking into account the nature of the audience.
- Good problem solving and analysis skills with the ability to translate these into solutions.
- Commercial acumen and Know How.
- +2 years’ experience of working in a post qualified Finance role
- +5 years’ experience of working in an operational environment
- Proven track record of delivering solutions to time, quality and budget.
- Good understanding of IT security and data privacy standards.
- Strong people management skills, with the ability to influence wider team members and support development of their capability and performance.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with both internal customers and external suppliers.
- Consistent delivery of results.
Whats in it for you
At Booker, along with being a great place to work and giving you an opportunity to get on in your career, we also offer the following fantastic package of benefits:
- A Booker colleague card with 10% off purchases at Booker and double discount events up to three times a year.
- After 3 months service, a Tesco colleague discount card with 10% increasing to 15% off most purchases at Tesco for a 4 day period after every four-weekly pay day, ie. thirteen times a year. In addition to 10% off at Tesco Cafe and 20% off all F&F purchases.
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile for yourself, along with further great deals through-out the year.
- Up to 30% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. Terms and conditions apply.
- 50% off complete glasses purchases and free eye tests at Vision Express.
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy.
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases including a cycle to work scheme.
- After 3 months service, you can join our annual Save As You Earn share scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares in the future at a discount.
- Retirement savings plan (pension) - save up to 5% and Booker will match your contribution.
- Life Assurance - You are covered for death in service life cover of up to three times annual pay
- Health and Wellbeing support and resources including our 24/7, confidential Employee Assistance Programme for you and your family.
- A great holiday package
Be part of something special. Join our team at Booker.
Booker is the UK's leading food & drink wholesaler. We are privileged to serve independent retailers, caterers and small businesses, from locations across the country.
Booker Group comprises of Booker Wholesale, Makro Wholesale, Booker Retail Partners, Booker Direct, Classic Drinks, Ritter Courivaud and Best Food Logistics. Our customers include Premier, Family Shopper, Budgens and Londis retailers and we have one shared aim - improving choice, price and service for all our customers.
Our business is incredibly diverse, so it takes a wide range of skills to deliver the exceptional service our customers require.
Wherever you join us, you’ll be part of an organisation that will help your career to keep moving forward.
*Booker Group is part of Tesco plc, however is operated separately from the core Tesco business and as such the benefits offered will be different from those offered at Tesco*