Assistant Shift Manager
About the role
We operate the UK’s ONLY flexible multi-temp, shared customer delivery logistics network. We buy, warehouse, pick and distribute the entire stock that goes into our customer’s stores across the UK, priding ourselves on quality of service.
Working within a fast-paced, reactive transport operation, the assistant shift manager is responsible for executing the daily plan, monitoring the loading operation and logging attendance and absence.
The assistant shift manager is also required to support the shift manager in all facets of the transport operation and people management.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Controlling the dispatch board, logging staff arrival, and ensuring routes depart on time
- Managing staff absences
- Working with agencies to cover gaps in the plan
- Completing investigations and disciplinaries
- Involved in all monitoring all aspects of legal transport compliance
- Liaising with the warehouse for loading and other issues
- Completing licence checks on drivers
- Allocating and monitoring vehicles on the tracking system
- Preparation and processing of driver infringements
- Investigation of personal and vehicle accidents
- Supporting all aspects of the transport operation, as required
You will need
Whilst no specific warehouse experience is required, you will be used to working to targets and have an accurate and methodical approach to your work. You must have basic numeracy and literacy skills and be physically fit. You will be a good team player who supports our company values. Knowledge of Food Hygiene and experience in a similar role is desirable but not essential.
Health & Safety is vital within this role therefore you will be expected to comply with all requirements of the Health and Safety policy and procedure including safety checks of all equipment before use and wearing Personal Protective Equipment. Safety starts with you!
We look forward to you joining the BEST team!
Hours of work are:
40 Hours per week
What's in it for you
The additional Benefits of being part of the BEST team!
- 10% Tesco discount, which increases to 15% for 4 days every 4 weeks (all discounts apply to home delivery)
- 20% discount on F&F Clothing
- 10% discount at Tesco Café
- 10% Booker discount
- 25% discount at all Pizza Express & Pizza Hut Restaurants (exc. buffet & deals)
- 25% discount at selected Burger King restaurants
- Contributory Pension.
- 1 year life assurance for all colleagues; or 3 years if you join the pension scheme
- Health and Wellbeing support and resources including our 24/7, confidential Employee Assistance Programme for you and your family & the opportunity to join a healthcare cash plan
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases including cinema vouchers & a cycle to work scheme
- A great holiday package – 29 days pro rata
We have always aspired to be the Best and now we are.
We are so confident in our supply chain, our people and our service that we can truly live up to our name, The Best Food Logistics company. Our people are what make us the best. We take the greatest care to commit to our vision and values with each interaction and at every touch point through the supply chain. There is no magic system to what we do. We stick to our values, and everything else falls into place. We are proud of our simplicity and straightforward approach.
We love our customers! We want them to love us! We aim to do that by providing great service, every day, by providing value with vision, and performance with passion.
Be part of something special. Join our team at Booker.
Booker is the UK's leading food & drink wholesaler. We are privileged to serve independent retailers, caterers and small businesses, from locations across the country.
Booker Group comprises of Booker Wholesale, Makro, Booker Direct, Classic Drinks, Ritter Courivaud, Best Logistics and Chef Direct. Our customers include Premier, Family Shopper, Budgens and Londis retailers and we have one shared aim - improving choice, price and service for all our customers.
Our business is incredibly diverse, so it takes a wide range of skills to deliver the exceptional service our customers require.
Wherever you join us, you’ll be part of an organisation that will help your career to keep moving forward.
*Booker Group is part of Tesco plc, however is operated separately from the core Tesco business and as such the benefits offered will be different from those offered at Tesco*